Built in 1895 and opened to the pubic in 1897, this hotel is a classic in its city. It was here that the first electric light bulb was lit in all of Dubrovnik and that the first elevators were operated. During the Serbian-Montenegrin war with Croatia the hotel was a sanctuary for many refugees from the surrounding villages. Hit by grenades, its top floor burnt out. Today the hotel has been completely renovated and runs under the flag of Hilton.