History The Plaza, Copenhagen
Just one more good reason to fall in love with the Plaza: its bar. The coziest corner of all Copenhagen.

The Plaza, Copenhagen

From 1914 to today, the Plaza right in front of the railway station (airport express) has gone through a change of names, witnessed a devastating fire in its neighbourhood and welcomed various noble international visitors. Its location in the heart of Copenhagen makes it the first stop for travellers, its Library Bar is one of its legendary centrepieces, and the haunt of everybody who wants to withdraw from this world for a little while. The Plaza has a view over beautiful Tivoli and is located near both direct connections to the airport and the famous shopping street Ströget and Rådhusplatsen (City hall square). Opposite is the legendary design hotel, the Royal.
1913: The construction of the hotel began in June. Topping-out ceremony was held September 24, 1913. April 29, 1914 the hotel opened as Hotel Terminus. Architects were: Emil Jorgensen, Waldemar Schmidt and Niels Skriver. The developers behind the construction of the hotel, hotelier William C. Jensen (Hotel Hafnia) and restaurateur Adolf Andersen. The hotel was the most modern hotel in Copenhagen with a total of 54 rooms all with telephone and bathroom. There va 46 rooms with bath and 8 rooms with shower. There was a strong emphasis on tradition and small curiosities. For example they had on all floors installed a mailbox associated with the large brass mailbox who sat in the lobby and who today is still preserved. It was emptied every day half hour before the train departed post. 1918: Adolf Andersen took over in 1918 as a sole hotel Terminus. (After some years abroad Adolf Andersen was back in Denmark, working in the hotel Dangleterre from 1901-1905. From 1905-1908 Director of the hotel King of Denmark. From 1909 the proprietor of The New Theater Restaurant, manager of the restaurant at Klampenborg racetrack and head of the restaurant at the German tourist steamer Imperator, as the summer went into regular service between Copenhagen and Germany). In the 1920s and 30s the clientèle of the Hotel Terminus consisted of landowners, counts, barons and wealthy people who spent a night or two in town while waiting for their audience with the king. The hotel had its own tailor. 1937 Adolf Andersen sells Hotel Terminus to Woolworth director and magnate J. Kjerulff. (manager: Andreas Harboe, in 1945 John Jensen, in 1962 Palle Rosenberg). 1939–1945: during World War 2 a fire broke out in the neighbouring building, but didn’t harm the hotel. 1966: Director J. Kjerulff sold the Hotel Terminus , (manager Helge Svendsen). 1968 : Wagons-Lits buys the hotel. 1970: major renovations also lead to a change of name: Hotel Terminus, becomes The Plaza Hotel. The fabled Gobelinsalen was converted to the Library Bar, which became world famous as Forbes magazine enthusiastically named it one of the world's best bars. The Library Bar currently contains a selection of books that are available for hotel guests. Among these books are also a number of first editions but is well preserved in locked shelves. Original English furniture adorns this beautiful library that forms the centre of the hotel and is a favourite spot for both hotel guests and Copenhageners. One of the remaining tapestries can be seen in the lobby at the reception. Two new restaurants were established: Flora Danica and Baron of Beef. 1999, October: The Plaza hotel is part of Accor’s "Sofitel" (Hotel Sofitel Copenhagen). 2006 The Plaza joins PROFILHOTELS.
Google Map

Our Select Member Hotel

The Plaza, Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
City: Copenhagen
Opening date: 1913

Note from the Host

General Manager Allan Mulis


Bernstorffsgade 4
1577 Denmark, Copenhagen

Tel: +45 33 14 92 62
Fax: +45 33 93 93 62

Google Map

Book a Room

Click on the link below to start your trip (no booking fees)!