First opened as The Great Central Hotel in 1899, this was supposed to be the last great railway hotel of the Victorian era. Unfortunately, after the demise of rail travel in the early twentieth century, the hotel fell upon hard times and was forced to close before World War II. It wasn't until the 1990s that the hotel reopened. Now, as The Landmark, it is enjoying a new lease of life.
How the Stage was Set HISTORY IN BRIEF 1899: The hotel first opened as The Great Central Hotel. 1995: The hotel was renamed The Landmark HISTORY IN DETAIL 1890s: The origins of the hotel lie with the ambitions of a visionary entrepreneur, Sir Edward Watkins (1819-1901), who dreamt of establishing a great rail network linking his own Great Central Railway to Europe via a Channel Tunnel terminating at Marylebone Station. It was to be the last of the great Victorian railway hotels constructed during the golden age of steam. 1895: Unfortunately, The Great Central Railway Company ran into financial difficulties in 1895 before work on the hotel had begun, and Sir John Blundell Maple, Chairman of the furniture company Maples, agreed to purchase the site at a price of 9d (4.5 pence). The new owner commissioned architect Robert William Edis (1839-1927), a man well known for his approach in buildings typically displaying the Gothic Revival style. The design was to reflect not only the wealth and power of the era, but also the desire of the architect and owner that it should surpass all previous establishments in terms of opulence and luxury. 1899: The hotel opened as The Great Central Hotel. 1914-18: During the two world wars was requisitioned by the government for convalescing officers and soldiers on leave. 1920s: In adapting to the social needs of the post-war “roaring twenties”, the hotel’s central courtyard (now the Winter Garden) was transformed into a dance floor. Previously it had allowed horse-drawn carriages to deposit guests at the hotel in privacy. c.1940: The advent of the motorcar gradually replaced rail as the dominant mode of transport during the early 20th century, and after only forty years the most luxurious of all the great Victorian railway terminus hotels was forced to close its doors. 1945: During the two world wars was requisitioned by the government for convalescing officers and soldiers on leave. 1940s-80s: The building was used as offices. 1986: The building was acquired by a Japanese company and renovation work commenced. 1993: The hotel reopened. 1995: The hotel (previously known as The Regent, London) was acquired by The Lancaster Landmark Hotel Company Ltd and renamed The Landmark London.
297 Rooms
King-sized beds (all room categories except Superior and Twin) Large windows Large executive Desk Three telephone lines Individually controlled heating and ventilation Marble bathroom with seperate bath and shower (deluxe and above) Turndown service Private Bar Satellite television with on-command video system Multi-channel radio High-speed Internet access and voicemail Oversized soft bathrobes Hairdryer The White Company bath products
Marylebone Suite ------ Presidential Suite
The Dining Room for connoisseurs ------ The Winter Garden ------ The Cellars
Why not explore nearby Regent's Park? First opened in 1845, it is one of London's royal parks, and with its gardens, lakes (including boating area), sport's pitches and children's playgrounds provides the perfect setting to escape the hustle and bustle of modern London. Oh, and London Zoo is located in Regent's Park, too.
The all new Spa and Health Club at The Landmark is coming soon. It closed for refurbishment in December 2007. ------ 12 tennis courts at nearby Regents Park
The firm is a superb venue for conferences and events and has notably staged the BAFTA awards, banquets for the Queen and The Caterer and Hotelkeeper's Chef Conference 2006.
Smart casual attire is perfectly acceptable in the hotel's fine dining restaurants.
Google Map

Our Select Member Hotel

Country: England
City: London
Opening date: 1899

Note from the Host

General Manager Mr. Francis Green
Hotel Manager: Mr. Douglas Glen


222 Marylebone Road
NW1 6JQ England, London

Tel: +44 (0) 20 7631 8000
Fax: +44-171-631 8080

Google Map

Book a Room

Click on the link below to start your trip (no booking fees)!