Grand Hotel Marriott-Point Clear

Upholding a tradition of gracious Southern hospitality since 1847, the Grand Hotel is an extraordinary hotel resort that offers a full range of amenities and luxuries.
1847: F.H. Chamberlain built the hotel as a two-story building with 40 rooms. A separate building housed the dining room and kitchen. A third building housed a bar called "The Texas." 1860’s: In 1864, a portion of the hotel became a Confederate hospital during the Civil War. A cemetery for about 300 Confederate soldiers is near the 18th tee of the Grand's Azalea course. In 1869, a fire destroyed the dining room, kitchen and guest rooms. There were no deaths. 1870’s: "The Texas" bar was turned into an emergency hospital in 1871 following the explosion of the steamboat "Ocean Wave." Captain H.C. Baldwin bought the hotel in the 1870’s for $75,000. It was 300 feet long and had 60 suites. 1900’s: Major James K. Glennon of Mobile bought the hotel in 1901. In 1906 and 1916, the hotel was severely damaged. Major Glennon was ready to quit, but Mrs. Glennon intervened and supervised repairs that helped reopen it. 1930’s: Mr. E.A. Roberts bought the hotel and 25 additional parcels of land in 1939. 1940’s: The old buildings were renovated and the main building was constructed in 1940. The Army Air Corps used the hotel as a training base during World War II. None of the soldiers wore combat boots in the hotel in order to protect the hardwood floors. After WWII, Robert's company, the Waterman Steamship Company, built a marina, two tennis courts, an 18-hole golf course and a swimming pool. A garage and specialty shops were built. 1950’s: Ten cottages were added in the 1950s. In 1955, Southern Industries bought the hotel and then sold it to James K. McLean in 1966. McLean added the Bay House and soon the hotel grew to 172 guest rooms. 1960’s: In 1967, a second 9-hole golf course and the first conference center were added 1970’s: In 1979, the hotel closed as a result of Hurricane Frederick. Roofs were damaged and 5,000 trees on the golf course were lost. The hotel reopened on April 10, 1980. 1980’s: In 1981, the Marriott Corporation bought the Grand Hotel and added the North Bay House and the Marina Building, bringing total guest rooms to 306. In 1986, the old Gunnison House was torn down to make way for The Grand ballroom. Marriott added an additional 9-hole golf course for a total of 36 holes. Today, after a spectacular $50-million renovation, the Grand has again assumed its rightful position as the Queen of Southern Resorts. Experience the grand and sweeping changes that have carried the resort into the 21st century. A seemingly endless array of luxurious refinements and amenities are now in place, including a magnificent spa, spectacular pool complex, a completely redesigned golf course, expanded beaches, and more.
Colin Powell Margaret Thatcher Barbara Bush Dolly Parton Fannie Flagg
David Clark
Managed by: Marriott
405 Rooms
Google Map

Our Select Member Hotel

Grand Hotel Marriott-Point Clear
Country: USA
City: Point Clear
Opening date: 1847

Note from the Host

General Manager Bruce Smith


Book a Room

Click on the link below to start your trip (no booking fees)!