History Arosa Kulm Hotel and Alpin Spa
Prince Bhumibol, the future King of Thailand, spending his winter holiday at Arosa Kulm Hotel, in Arosa, Switzerland.

Arosa Kulm Hotel and Alpin Spa

Arosa Kulm’s history dates back more than 120 years to when local confectioner Hans Hold returned from Rouen in France and bought the property next to his farmhouse. Soon after in 1882, his son Thomas joined the two houses together, built a third, and named his hotel (with 30 rooms and 48 beds) Kurhaus. Even at that time, the hotel was fully equipped with electric light and a telephone connection, and the concierge would pick up the guests up from the mail coach terminus.

Following the death of Thomas Hold in 1894, the hotel changed hands and was given its new name, Kulm, by a chef called Scherrer.

The first winter season began in 1900.

In 1905, 1907 and 1909, the hotel changed owners again.

Then, in 1914, the First World War broke out and the railroad track from Chur to Arosa was officially opened. That same year, the hotel extension Bergfried was moved about 100 metres back towards Piz Kulm to create space for a bigger building.

In 1920, Mr Stoffel and Mr Schmidheiny bought Kulm and Waldhaus hotels. The latter was sold in 1927 and was renamed Parkhotel. From then on, Mr Beat Stoffel was Kulm’s sole proprietor. On the Eve of the Great Depression in 1929, Kulm unveiled a new wing designed by the Zurich architect, Prof. Dunkel. At the time it was Arosa’s biggest hotel with 160 beds. Beat Stoffel developed the hotel with a great deal of vision. His greatest achievement was undoubtedly managing to preserve the land in front of Kulm and prevent developers from building there, which means guests can ski right up to the entrance to this day.

In November 1966, the Tschuggen fire triggered a long-term development plan with a budget of CHF 20 million, which enabled the complete renovation of the hotel, completed in November 1975. In 2000 and 2001, the hotel unveiled the state-of-the-art Alpine Spa wellness centre. Today, Arosa Kulm Hotel is a member of the Swiss Deluxe Hotels, with 137 rooms and 223 beds. Over 180 members of staff attend to our guests’ every need. The hotel’s history is also closely linked to family Stoffel, owners of a St Gallen textile company. To this day the hotel still belongs to them in the form of a private limited company.

Google Map

Our Select Member Hotel

Arosa Kulm Hotel and Alpin Spa
Country: Switzerland
City: Arosa
Opening date: 1882 (as Kurhaus), 1894 (renamed Kulm)

Note from the Host

General Manager André Salamin


Innere Poststrasse
7050 Switzerland, Arosa

Tel: +41 (0) 81 378 88 88
Fax: +41 (0) 81 378 88 89

Google Map

Book a Room

Click on the link below to start your trip (no booking fees)!