The Waldhaus was opened on June 15, 1908 by Josef Giger (1847–1921) and his wife Amalie who had previously managed large hotels in Bad Ragaz, in Russia, in Italy and finally in St. Moritz. They were succeeded by daugher Helen and her husband Oskar Kienberger, who brilliantly steered the Waldhaus through many difficult years. In the third generation, the baton passed to Rolf Kienberger (1917–1994) and his wife Rita. Today, it is the fourth generation with Maria and Felix Dietrich-Kienberger and Maria’s brother Urs Kienberger. And the next generation is already waiting in the wings.