Grand Hotel Del Paraguay

In 1873, Dr. Andreuzzi, arrived in Paraguay and acquired this property, that once belonged to the last Spanish governor and then to Madame Lynch, the adventurous Irish who accompanied the Paraguayan President Francisco Solano López since his return from Europe to his death on March 1st of 1870. Andreuzzi turned it into a hotel, a summer theatre, the country's first skate floor and other rustic facilities, and baptising this pleasant place as "Cancha Sociedad".
In 1873, Dr. Andreuzzi, arrived in Paraguay and acquired this property, that once belonged to the last Spanish governor and then to Madame Lynch, the adventurous Irish who accompanied the Paraguayan President Francisco Solano López since his return from Europe to his death on March 1st of 1870. Andreuzzi turned it into a hotel, a summer theatre, the country's first skate floor and other rustic facilities, and baptising this pleasant place as "Cancha Sociedad". The so-called Quinta Sociedad was the place where the Paraguayan President gathered with his generals and close friends, to watch plays, dance and spend time far from power and responsibilities. Dr. Andreuzzi also obtained the concession for the installation of a railway line with Dr. Morra, from plaza Uruguaya (Ex Plaza San Francisco) to his property of Cancha Sociedad. This railway company was proudly called by its owner "Universal Conductor." It arrived right here at the Grand Hotel del Paraguay. Many theatre companies arrived from Italy to perform in the hotel, where, in 1902 the master Cendakli played Puccini's "La Boheme" and in 1903 the master Barbat "Tosca". At his arrival to Asuncion, the former Argentinian President Domingo Faustino Sarmiento stayed at the Hotel of Cancha Sociedad consolidating a great friendship with the owner Dr. Andreuzzi, who gave a land to Sarmiento for his house. This Argentinian prócer lived and died in this known place where today we have the National Library. In 1909, Enrique Weiler, son of Don Guillermo Weiler, father and pioneer of the Paraguayan hotel management, held the manager position until 1913. In 1921, Don Enrique buyed the stablishment that was called Hotel Cancha Sociedad, changing its name for GRAN HOTEL DEL PARAGUAY. In 1966, the Paraguayan Government gives the "honour to the merit award" to Don Enrique Weiler for his efficient development in hotel management. With time this construction did not lost its charm, giving a modern service and confortable rooms. It's good to know that all the modifications have been made following the colonial line and the original construction. To the warm and sunny days, the shadow of the trees and the green vegetation united to the pleasure of relax, turn this place unique for the people who enjoy nature.
ca 60 Rooms
Google Map

Our Select Member Hotel

Grand Hotel Del Paraguay
Country: Paraguay
City: Asunción
Opening date: 1900

Note from the Host

General Manager
Hotel Manager: Horst Thiede

Coordinates

De la Residenta y Padre Pucheau
Paraguay, Asunción

Tel: +59521 200051/53
Fax: +595 21-214 098

Google Map

Book a Room

Click on the link below to start your trip (no booking fees)!

Google Adbox