On the 27th of April 1895 the construction started of the new hotel. It was opened on the 23rd of September 1896 as Hotel de l'Europe.
The architect, W. Hamer, who also designed Hotel Suisse (which has since burned down) in Kalver Street and the pavilion in Vondel Park, succeeded in incorporating certain elements of the old style of the side facades into the new building, giving it a romantic exterior.
The building is founded on approximately 620 piles and is made of mountain stone and red brick in Renaissance style. On the ground floor, the new hotel had a large hall which served as a cafe with an outdoor terrace on the river.