The hotel with two names: from its opening day in 1929 (left) until the 1990s it was called THE PRINCE OF WALES HOTEL and HOTEL PRINCE DE GALLES < | > The right picture shows the hotel at Christmas today.
Prince de Galles
In Paris, the city of grand hotels, this was the first hotel to open with two names. As it was built for and named after The Prince of Wales, it was called (see above) on its opening day PRINCE OF WALES HOTEL / HÔTEL PRINCE DE GALLES. Unveiled for the first time in August 1929, there is another outstanding feature we have noted: the hotel had 150 rooms, but offered 160 bathrooms. Why? Some suites had two bathrooms, to enable couples to complete their toilets at the same time, for instance when going out in the evening. For most guests of the Prince de Galles, this was like home.
Prince de Galles has counted among its guests Winston Churchill, Marlene Dietrich and Elvis Presley, Pele and Andre Agassi, to name but a few of the rich list. By the way: located in Avenue George V, it is the eastern neighbour of the hotel George V. George V was named after the King of England, father of the Prince of Wales. The two hotels, however, bear no family relationship.